Along with our Stake Presidency & youth leaders, we would like to invite you to join us this Sunday, July 5, in a special fast for our upcoming Kent Stake Youth Trek (beginning July 15th). The temperatures have been high in Bing Canyon the last few weeks, so we will trek in the early cooler hours of the day and have times of shade and lots of ice and water along the way. We would like to ask you to fast that the Lord might temper the elements, & bless us that we might be able to bear up under the challenges we will face at Bing Canyon.
Here are the latest updates and reminders for trek. Please carefully read and follow these guidelines:
There will be No Youth Trek Fireside on Sunday, July 12th. This email is being sent in the place of the fireside.
On Sunday, July 12th at 7 pm there will be a Ma and Pa training meeting instead. Those who should attend are Ma’s and Pa’s, Company Captains, and our Trail Boss and his wife. Important final details will be discussed.
We have attached the personal equipment list. Please make sure you have all of these items and pay special attention to these details:
- No bike shorts or spandex long pants under girl’s dresses (too hot/moist). Instead, wear loose light cotton pantaloons.
- Gold Bond powder can help prevent chaffing for girls and boys.
- Bring 2 pairs of shoes, one for daily trekking and one for a river crossing (no flip flops or loose fitting shoes).
- Bring acrylic or polyester socks. No cotton socks – they will cause blisters.
- Bring a water bottle that will not crush easily or break.
- Make sure you bring a pioneer story from your family.
- It is best to have a neck cooler for the hot temperatures. Another option are Arctic Cool Cooling Towels (Costco)
Do Not Bring the Following to Trek
- No food or candy
- No immodest clothing (see-thru when wet or dry)
- No swimming suits
- No shorts, midriffs, sleeveless tops
- No T-shirts (as outerwear)
- No jewelry
- No fireworks, matches, or lighters
- No electronic devices (no cell phones, iPods, Game Boys, radios, etc.)
- No hatchets, sheath or butterfly knives (pocket knives are ok)
- No face cards
- No inappropriate materials or behaviors that are not consistent with the standards found in the For the Strength of Youth booklet
- No thick foam pads that take up too much room. Thin backpack type sleeping pads are appropriate.
Please turn in Medical & Permission forms as soon as possible if you have not done so. Please give them to the following Trek Committee members this Sunday, July 5th.
- PO/SB – Bro or Sis Maucotel
- LM – Rob Welch
- CL – Tiffany Carbajal
- SH – Gil Lewis
- CW – Meghann Larkin
- LS – Heather Froisland
- Stake – Tiffany Carbajal
Saturday July 11th at 1 pm – Bring your bucket (filled with personal equipment), and your bedroll to the Stake Center. It will be loaded in trailers and driven to Bing Canyon ahead of us.
Wednesday July 15th at 7 am – Report to the Stake Center for our Trek Departure Meeting. Be prepared for that meeting by: Eating a good breakfast before you come, wearing your pioneer clothing, bringing a sack lunch & water bottle to eat on the road.
Please keep exercising and preparing for trek.
Parents/Leaders – if you have special plans to get yourself or your youth to or home from Trek, please call Adam Shumway @ 801-691-2964. He is setting up youth in cars to come and go from Trek.
Emergency Contact Information for Bing Canyon is: Elder Bill and Sister Cathy Coe 435-680-3999 and 509-947-6357.
For information about latest updates, exercising, sewing clothing, making neck coolers, or registration please visit the site menu links above.
Best wishes in your preparations,
Mark and Audrey Maucotel, Kent Stake Youth Trek Leaders